Safety System Engineering
Inspec Engineers have over 20 years experience in the supply of Safety Systems and extensive experience of supplying systems incorporating both Programmable and Solid State equipment as the Logic Solver.
As a general principle Inspec engineer all Safety Systems in accordance with the latest International guideline IEC 61511 (the Process Industry specific version of IEC 61508) and IEC 62061 (the Machine Safety specific version of IEC 61508)
A Safety Systems suitability for use at a particular SIL must be justified by both a quantitative and qualitative analysis. A key aspect of the qualitative aspect of a Safety System project is the lifecycle (design) approach adopted.
In terms of the quantitative justification the use of pre-certified hardware aids the necessary calculations & architectural requirements required to demonstrate compliance with the guidelines. Detailed FMEA & SIL verification calculations are also carried out by Inspec in accordance with our Functional Safety Management (FSM) Procedures.
The qualitative justification of compliance is provided within the use of our FSM Procedures which are applied to all Safety System work. These procedures have been developed by Inspec in conjunction with an independent Functional Safety Consultant and apply to all Safety Systems up to SIL 3.
Functional Safety Assessment
IEC 61508/61511 requires a combination of fault avoidance (QA) and fault tolerant (design) approaches. Assurance that the specified Safety Integrity Level has been satisfied is gained by:
· Correct application of the management procedures
· Use of competent staff
· Use of appropriate measures and techniques
· Application of the lifecycle activities and methods set out in the Project Plan
· Independent functional safety assessmentAs part of our FSM we utilize personnel of the appropriate level of competency & independence for all appropriate stages of the project lifecycle. In particular we have personnel with the qualifications & experience to provide in house verification & audit functions required by the guidlines including the following specific qualifications:
- TUV (Rheinland) - Functional Safety Engineer